How to Restore Fire Damaged Walls and Ceilings in Naples
Naples SERVPRO Fire Restoration Technologies Effectively Clean Smoke Residues
Home fire restoration is an overwhelming project for Naples homeowners to tackle. Without the right tools and knowledge, cleaning without professional intervention can unintentionally smear soot stains, spread smoke residues, and allow protein residues from cooking fires to release pungent odors on many surfaces. However, there are ways to address damage while saving time and money.
Naples SERVPRO fire damage restoration technicians are equipped with the necessary knowledge and technologies to thoroughly remediate soot and smoke soils and odors while preventing secondary damage to structures and contents. SERVPRO techs can also clean HVAC systems and remediate water damage from fire suppression.
Understanding Fire and Smoke Damage Soils and Why They Stain Surfaces
While some fire damage soils smear, not all do so. However, many fires are likely to feature dry and wet smoke residues.
- Dry smoke results from high-heat, high-oxygen fires, typically quickly extinguish. Items that produce this type of smoke include wood, paper products, and natural fibers like cotton, wool, and silk.
- Wet smoke typically results from slow-burning, low-heat, low-oxygen fires that affect synthetic materials like polymers and plastics.
- Homeowners should also be conscious of the presence of protein residues, which are greasy, pungent, and nearly invisible to the naked eye. Filmy proteins come from burnt meats, poultry, and fish and require specialized cleaning solutions to mitigate in full.
While fire soils are crucial to remediating them, consumer-grade solutions are not always sufficient for effective cleanup. They can even worsen stains in some cases. SERVPRO professionals can respond to Naples homeowners’ needs with 24/7 remediation, fire odor removal, and build-back services.
SERVPRO Soot Removal Solutions for Walls and Ceilings Before Restoration
Fire restoration technicians thoroughly clean both wet and dry smoke residues from walls and ceilings with specially-designed EPA-registered sanitation solutions and dry cleaning methods. Ceilings may require active peroxide cleaning for gentle but effective remediation with unique soils, textures, or porosity.
- SERVPRO Dry Cleaning Sponges are ideal for light to moderate fire damage soils and can be used to pre-clean dry residues before wet cleaning on grease fire damage areas.
- Wet cleaners, including detergents and alkaline solutions, are well-suited to oily smoke residues and heavier accumulations of dry soot.
- Meanwhile, active peroxide cleaning is deployed after soils are vacuumed or brushed off a ceiling. Then, a fan pattern can spray the stabilized hydrogen peroxide with a 40 to 60 psi sprayer.
SERVPRO techs can prep the space for painting if repainting proves necessary after a fire. This process, also called “cleaning for paint,” does not provide a complete visual indication of cleanliness but eliminates the required residues to prepare a wall or ceiling for repainting. Painted walls can be sealed with a pigmented alcohol shellac. This process salvages structures that have suffered heavy damage while returning them to a pre-damage condition.
“Clean for no paint,” meanwhile, provides a full clean of light residues with a dry-cleaning sponge or mild, wet cleaning solution.
Property owners can call (239) 302-5700 for fire restoration services from SERVPRO of Naples / Marco Island. This team ensures that homes look and feel “Like it never even happened. after a home structure fire.”